DTDC's journey through the years has been full of milestones, growth and pushing the boundaries often. With many firsts to its credit, DTDC has constantly strived to not just grow as an organization but also set an industry benchmark. A small glimpse of our journey thus far, is as below:
1990: Inception of DTDC by CMD; Incorporated as Private Limited Company
1994: Converted as Public Limited Company
2000: First overseas expansion in the US, UK and Dubai
2003: Revenue crossed the 100-cr. mark
2005-06: Private equity investment in DTDC by Reliance ADAG
2007: Revenue crossed the 200-cr. mark
2008: Introduction of Premium Express Products (PEP) portfolio
2009-10: DTDC's Supply Chain Solutions division was launched with a special focus on providing Cargo Services via surface, air and rail modes.
2010: DTDC Retail Ltd. was launched in 2010. Under its aegis, DTDC Retail Ltd. set up DTDC New World that operates a chain of convenience retail stores that endeavors to create a world of convenience by providing a bouquet of services to make customer’s lives easy.
2012: DTDC acquires a majority stake in Eurostar Express of UAE - first international acquisition by an Indian express company
2013: DTDC enters into strategic partnership with Europe’s leading logistics player ‘Geopost’, the Express arm of La Poste Group, for extensive penetration into key markets across the world.
DTDC launched its specialist logistics company for e-commerce - DotZot - the 1st pan India e-commerce delivery network.
DTDC acquired the Bangalore-based freight forwarding company Nikkos Logistics Pvt Ltd to enhance its freight presence globally
2014: DTDC undertakes an organization-wide Business Transformation Program, with its Engagement Partner IBM on its 25th year
2015: DTDC launched the new brand identity through a strategic partner – DPD group. The brand name is re-christened to DTDC Express Limited (formerly known as DTDC Courier & Cargo Ltd.) along with a new Cobranded identity DTDC sets up its first state-of-the-art automated hub at Hyderabad,
To be India's Preferred Express Parcel Service Provider with a Special Consumer (2C) Focus.
Delivering Value to all our Stakeholders and at all touch points.
At DTDC, we are committed towards:
Satisfied Internal Customers, External Customers and Business Associates.
Continual Improvement in products, processes, services and quality management System.
Satisfied, Motivated and Committed Employees.
Our Chairman's message:
“Survival of the fittest’ is one of the oldest concepts of nature. Our organization is strong enough to face any challenge and thanks to our spirited channel partners and the dedicated staff who have made it possible. But the future of the industry now depends upon the quality of service we provide. DTDC has earned everything for itself - name, fame, respect, social and economic status and acknowledgment from Government and non- Government institutes, its consumers and the corporate world. But, one feather that is missing in the large DTDC cap is that of the recognition as the “Best Service Providing Company (BSPC)."
DTDC is growing by almost 24% (over the last year) thanks to our franchisee-based business model. But as mentioned above, the future lies in the quality of the service we provide and hence, the DTDC board is happy to announce that with beginning of this new decade, we will do everything possible to earn the status of BSPC and earn the recognition of being the “Best Service-Oriented Organization".
This BSPC mantra now drives all endeavours of the organization and guides the actions of all employees and franchisees. BSPC is now set as the target and every DTDCian is inspired to achieve this goal. Following are some of the key activities DTDC is undertaking to become a BSPC:
1.Adopting Six Sigma Processes to achieve lean perfection in services
2.Greater use of technology for faster flow of delivery information
3.Building inter-departmental co-ordination and efficiency to enhance back-end services
4.Superior customer service to handle queries with faster turnaround of responses
5.Benchmarking of service levels at every step to attain near-perfect customer satisfaction
DTDC’s current strategy in keeping with its Mission 1000 and Vision 2020 is to consolidate its current position and constantly introduce new services and products that are relevant to the needs of our consumers. We are not satisfied with just being the largest delivery network in the country. We wish to go deeper and triple our network within the country. To face competition, DTDC is heavily investing in technology, infrastructure, brand development and network expansion. A three year program that started last year, involves an investment of over Rs. 25 crores in brand building and a complete upgrade and standardization of all DTDC outlets.
In the last 26 years, DTDC has seen an exponential growth in its Express business and has become a leading brand and a household name in the country. DTDC’s road map for growth aspires toward a Rs. 5000-crore company from the present level by 2020. To achieve this, different SBUs have been formed with clear focus on their respective functions. Every SBU will add more value-added products for the growing needs of the Indian corporate and retail consumers.
· The Domestic Division as an SBU will remain as the mainstay with all its value-added products. More innovative products will be launched periodically. In addition to our current formidable reach, expansion of branches and franchisee network in all districts and talukas (administrative division in some South Asian countries, including India and applicable to the suburbs or rural areas) of ‘B’ and ‘C’ category cities is a strategic direction. The plan is being systematically executed to reach the targeted figure of 20,000 franchises in India in 2020.
· DTDC understands that in the next ten years the lives of people are going to be different with more access to money but less time to spare for themselves and their family. Consumers will, therefore, look for service providers who can help them do more in life in the same amount of time. Only the organized sector can provide all such inclusive services under one roof backed up by an extensive and dependable network coupled with speed of delivery – that is where DTDC with its unique strengths provides reliable solutions. DTDC, through its Retail Division SBU is opening Service Super Malls through which various services and products will be extended to customers to help them save and make time for their families and themselves. Our vision is to make life easy for people in the years to come. Consequently, retail outlets are being expanded aggressively and over 60 Multi Service Stores have been opened so far under the brand name ‘DTDC New World’. DTDC plans to open over 500 such stores in strategic locations in the next 3 – 4 years in different parts of the country.
· International Division as an SBU will strategically focus on in-bound shipments from all over the world through DTDC’s own offices abroad, international franchises, JVs and associates and effectively distribute through its own network in India. For this purpose, new international franchisees are being aggressively appointed in major countries of the world. DTDC has plans of major acquisitions for inorganic growth. The company has set up 50:50 JV in Singapore and Hong Kong with Donald Tay, ex CEO and President of DPEX, a subsidiary of Qantas Airlines, and a JV in Dubai.
· Supply Chain Solutions has been identified as another SBU and a growth driver. Plans are underway to expand new routes through continuous research. A large number of SCS offices have already been opened across India. This SBU is being run by experienced people and continuous training is being imparted to improve their efficiency.
Freight Forwarding SBU is another area of growth. Key people from the industry have been recruited to spearhead this vertical.
· DTDC Institute of Supply Chain Management (DISCM) concentrates on Training and Development of not only internal staff but also anyone who would like to be trained in the Supply Chain and Logistics space. It is affiliated to CILT, India (The Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport), which in turn is affiliated with CILT, London. DTDC Institute is the only accredited institute in the country which is authorized to confer certificate of CILT, London. Producing trained manpower in logistics and making them available will be DTDC’s contribution to the growth of Logistics and Supply chain in India.
In recent times, building a powerful brand and connecting with its customer base more effectively has been one of DTDC’s main focus areas. As we grow geographically and as our product portfolio accommodates a wider set of consumer needs, we have realized that the right brand environment and communication can be of incomparable value for our customers to experience and adopt our new initiatives.
DTDC has, thus, undertaken a Brand Building campaign encompassing all India to enhance our visibility, showcase our new ground-breaking products and build the base for DTDC to emerge as a power to reckon with, in future. This includes not just creating a warm and welcoming store setting, but also trained staff members well-equipped to respond to customer needs, state-of-the-art infrastructure and technology.
While our network is spread to all the metros and tier-1 cities, we have vowed not to limit the Brand Building Campaign to Urban India.
In a recent time, Brand Building has been treated as one of the most important activities. As our channel partners and customers see the tangible benefits of the activity, it has already crossed the borders of Metros and cities, and has reached rural and remote areas. From the most posh residential areas of Mumbai to the small town of less than 5000 population Jaspur in Uttaranchal, DTDC has a common identity today.
We also believe that this campaign is binding us as an organization and aligning us to our common organizational goals apart from enhancing our visibility, bringing us new business and strengthening the already strong bond between franchisees and the management.
Keeping up with world-wide technological developments in the Logistics industry, DTDC has been investing extensively in ramping up its infrastructure, since it is the backbone for holding together the operational service excellence. DTDC ensures that it identifies and deploys state-of-the-art technology, which offers the following:
· World Class ERP (SAP)
· Real-time Connectivity
· End-to-end Consignment Tracking and Tracing functionalities
· Data Accuracy
· Web-based and Mobile (text message) status query solutions
· Tech-based Mass Mailing solutions
Tech-related Research & Innovations at DTDC include:
· Image-scan of Proof Of Delivery (POD) on the web
· Mobile-based instant delivery update
· Secured integration with ERP of alliance partners and customers
· Franchisee ERP & Tech enablement
· Portal for Franchisees - a complete suite of applications and utilities
· Fleet Management and GPRS software solutions
· Logistics and Warehouse Management applications
· Human Resource Management Systems (HRMS) and SFA applications
· Help Desk and call management applications
“for API Integration, Tracking Data and Daily MIS Integration please write to us at email@example.com”
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is more than a priority at DTDC - it is integrally woven into the cultural fabric of the organization. Social responsibilities are integrated into DTDC’s daily work and are at the heart of its unique business model.
Here is a list of some of our CSR initiatives:
DTDC has been actively involved in CSR activities since its inception. Its CSR is as unique as its business model. We believe that the best way to help society is to make its people self-reliant and in the last 22 years we have helped more than 5400 families become self reliant. Apart from serving the society through its franchisee development program, DTDC is also engaged in various socio- economic activities. This includes activities like flood relief campaigns, education and child development programs. However, the board wished to reach out to more underprivileged people and extend its philanthropic touch to people other than just its own franchisees and therefore formed its own foundation.
When it came to naming the foundation, the unanimous choice was to name it after the Founder Chairman of DTDC, Shri Subhasish Chakraborty Foundation. Mr. Chakraborty is well-known for his humble and caring approach and commands huge respect among all DTDCians across the country. The foundation, which was formally inaugurated on 15th October 2011, already has more than 10,000 members.
The foundation will focus on addressing fundamental issues faced by the society such as:
· Right to education
· Health and hospital services
· Sewage system in villages
· Build or donate to elder homes
· Build or donate to orphanages
· Build schools
· Scholarships to meritorious as well as underprivileged students
The foundation will be managed/ governed by the committee with equal representations from management, staff and franchisees. Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty has pledged to donate half his annual salary to the foundation. Mr. Suresh Bansal and Mr. Abhishek Chakraborty, Director and ED, respectively have also promised to contribute one quarter of their yearly remuneration to the foundation.
DTDC firmly believes that protection of Vasundhara (The Mother Earth) is its prime responsibility and supports global green revolution policy by taking various measures. DTDC, the family of 5400 plus franchisees and equal number of employees is growing every day. The Chairman announced the Go Green project on August 1, 2011 that involves a commitment to plant 11,000 trees every year. The Chairman and the Executive Director initiated this project on August 7 this year by planting seven plants in the premises of the Pune Regional office. Some of our key initiatives for this cause have been:
- Adopt a Tree
While planting a tree is important to help make the planet greener and cleaner for our future generation, saving the tree is equally important. Considering the challenge, the DTDC management has launched the “Adopt a Tree” program under the Go Green policy.
- Energy Conservation
Under the Go Green project, conservation of electricity is another critical initiative that has been undertaken. Monitored directly from the Chairman’s office, all DTDC offices practise energy conservation at their premises and in fleet vehicles, and reducing the overall carbon footprint of its operations through recycling.
DTDC has been quick to respond to any disaster and natural calamity that has struck India and actively extended its support by raising funds for the Prime Minister’s Relief funds and the Chief Minister’s Relief funds. DTDC raised funds to aid the people affected during the four major recent natural calamities that severely impacted different parts of India. They are:
· The 1999 Orissa cyclone or Paradeep Cyclone that affected lakhs of people
· A deadly earthquake in Kutch of Gujarat on January 26, 2001 that killed thousands of people and more than 400 students
· The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake or Tsunami that occurred on December 26, 2004 in Chennai, Andaman & Nicobar
· The most catastrophic floods in the history of Bihar in 2008
Apart from raising the funds, a group of self motivated DTDCians formed the Cloth Bank to aid people affected by natural calamities with provision of clothes.
DTDC is proud to employ more than 250 women in its core operation team in high pressure zones like Mumbai and Delhi. DTDC welcomes and encourages the positive trend in the increased participation of women in erstwhile male-dominated departments such as Operations. We also employ about 800 women employees across other departments of the company. The numbers of women franchisees have also grown up to 750 all over India. We actively promote women entrepreneurship and also have 30% representation from women on the DTDC Board of Directors.
Furthermore, DTDC endeavours to support the socio-economic development of women in special zones like:
· AWWA: The Army Wives Welfare Association is the wing developed by the Indian Army to support war widows by conducting for them various fund-raising activities and also providing entrepreneurship opportunities for them. DTDC, through its Delhi office, proactively approached the association and offered DTDC Franchising Opportunities to the war widows whose husbands have died fighting for the nation. We have established two such centres in the country at Delhi and Pune. DTDC salutes the spirit of these women!
· Like the army, DTDC also has its share of heartbreaking stories. The untimely deaths of our franchisees, whose family solely depend on the income from DTDC, were an irreparable loss and devastating. But DTDC always comes forward for such families and widows and encourages them to take a charge of the situation with confidence and continue the same franchises. DTDC has such women franchisees in many parts of India including the remotest parts of states like Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh. However, under our socio-economic development plan, DTDC also offers franchisees to women whose husbands are handicapped or disabled. Our women franchisees expressed their gratitude in their own words:
“I am alive because of DTDC,” said Mrs. Santosh Tewari, a widow from remote Bahrachi town, U.P.
“It’s because of DTDC that, like me, hundreds of widows are leading a life of dignity & pride.” said Mrs. Poonam Wallia, a widow from Lucknow.
“My husband lost his eyes, but DTDC gave us thousand eyes,” said Mrs. Sudipta Mallik, Kolkata.
“My experience with DTDC has taught me that if you work sincerely and with dedication, your family enjoys the goodwill and that your goodwill is the biggest wealth you can pass on to the next generation,” said Mrs. Beena Cheriyan, a widow from Mumbai
As an organization and under our corporate service responsibility, we undertake and associate ourselves with many projects to educate underprivileged children and to help the needy. We have many models through which we raise funds for these activities. We have been directly associated with:
· Round Table India: Bangalore Chapter Round Table India is one of the country's premier service organizations. Round Table India members are volunteers who work locally, regionally, and internationally to help and educate underprivileged children.
· Shri Sant Dyaneshwar School is a school in a remote and tribal village of Borsar, Madhya Pradesh that is in its fifth year of operation of providing free education to the children of farm labourers and children of the tribes living in absolute poverty. The school, which runs from play group to the seventh standard, has 218 children, 11 teaching and non-teaching staffs. DTDC is actively involved in this project and extends its financial support as well.
· Other Activities include many other areas of child development. In its annual program, DTDC observed and identified the institutes and organizations working for the needy and children with disabilities. We extend our support to the following institutes:
Sri Rakum School for the blind which was opened in June 1998 in Bangalore. The school was founded for children born blind or visually impaired. Coming from families below the poverty line, these children are shunned, denied a childhood and the opportunities to grow into normal adults.
Dreamz: This organization is a home for homeless street children in Mumbai that works for their rehabilitation.
Orphanage in Ludhiana: Child care centre for abandoned children.
The SSC Foundation is successfully running an "SSCF Elderly Home" for elderly homeless people at Nagarbhavi, Bangalore. This was officially inaugurated during the first week of July 2018. The SSCF Elderly Home is taking care of over 50 Senior citizens and children.
1.SSRDPL (Division of Art Of Living)-Amount paid towards Solar Electricity Facility for Kanneri village in Karnataka
2.Unnati Foundation (NGO which works for imparting training to unemployed youth)
3.RKMVCC (Donation of Microscope for Botan Lab to help PG Students)
4.St. Gyaneswar (Educational development of lesser privileged children in Madhya Pradesh)
5.Lysosomal Storage Disorder Support Society
6.World Vision (Adoption of 1+ 25 children for their education)
7.We With u (Donation to treat Cancer patients)
9.Financial Assistance to HUD HUD Cyclone affected Personnel, Vizag (Franchisees & Employees)
10.Care of Needy children Rightfully Nutured, Siliguri.
11.Go Sports Foundation
12.Nai Disha (An initiative of SSCF to impart professional training to lesser privileged people for employment opportunities.
13.Expenses for Chennai Flood Reief.
14.SSCF BILASPUR TRAING CENTRe for underpriviliged persons.
In consideration of the immense contribution being made by DTDC to the Express Industry, towards socio-economic growth of the country and its Management processes, the company has been honored with several awards.
Few of the important awards / recognitions are:
· DTDC Express Ltd has been recognized as one of the Bengaluru’s ‘Hot 50 Brands’ in the 3rd edition of Bengaluru Brand Summit & Hot Brands, 2018! Organised by Paul Writer. The award ceremony was in Bengaluru on 6th February 2018.The list of Bengaluru's Hot 50 brands is arrived at after a diligent process of jury evaluation and popular voting.
· DTDC has been recognised as the ‘BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR’ – 2018, in a survey conducted by Business Today, India’s foremost business magazine. The recognition was a part of the magazine’s nationwide survey to identify the ‘TOP 25 COMPANIES TO WORK FOR’. DTDC emerged victorious in the ‘OTHERS AND DIVERSIFIED” category, an industry segment and was also declared as the ‘Sectorial winner.’
· DTDC’s Brand Campaign TVC “Going Beyond the Parcel” has been awarded the Best Corporate Film under the category “Best Corporate Film encompassing Vision, History, Values & Spirit of Excellence” presented by the International Management Film Festival and Times Ascent at the World HRD Congress 2017.
· DTDC Express Limited was awarded National Award for Exemplary Position under Express/Courier category at CII Scale Awards 2016.
· Mr. Abhishek Chakraborty, Executive Director, DTDC Express Limited was bestowed with 'The Extraordinaire' trophy by NexBrands at its Brand Vision Summit.
· DTDC Express limited has been ranked as the Most Attractive Brand in India’s Most Attractive Brand 2016 by TRA Research.
· DTDC Supply Chain Solutions was honored with “Best E-Fulfillment Center” Award at India Cargo Awards- North & East 2016 - an all-India platform to regionally recognize the stalwarts and those behind the success of the cargo industry.
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty, CMD, has been bestowed with the prestigious title of “Doctor of Excellence” for gaining Expertise and Mastery in Field of Management by the Confederation of International Accreditation Committee (CIAC Global). He has also been conferred with a “Citation and Certificate of Excellence” for his outstanding achievements and contributions towards the community, society and the country, while meeting the strict requirements set forth by the Board of Trustees and the Governing council of CIAC Global.
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty has been awarded the FASII Award of Excellence for Business Personality of the year 2015-16 in Service Sector by General Vijay Kumar Singh, PVSM, AVSM, YSM, ADC and the Minister of State of External Affairs and Minister of state (Independent Charge) for North East Region.
· DTDC has been awarded the Best Franchisor Award for the 10th time in a row by Franchisee India.
· DTDC was ranked as India's Most Trusted Courier Service Brand for the third time in a row in The Brand Trust Report TM - India Study 2015 published by Trust Research Advisory.
· DTDC Express Limited has been awarded amongst Bangalore’s Hottest 50 Brands in 2015 presented by Paul Writers.
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty has been conferred upon one of the most prestigious award by The Economic Times as the ‘Inspiring Entrepreneurs of India’ in February 2015
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty has been commemorated as the Most Admired Leader at The Asian Brand Conclave for 2014-15
· DTDC has been awarded with the prestigious Most Admired Brand Award in Asia at The Asian Brand Conclave for 2014-15
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty was awarded with the Inc. India’s Top 30 Innovative CEOs for the second consecutive time in January 2015
· DTDC won the coveted title of Most Innovative Mid-sized Top 100 Companies by Inc. India for the second consecutive time in 2015
· The “Lifetime Achievement Award for the year 2013” was conferred upon Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty in recognition of his continuous contribution to the express industry and economical development of the country since last 24 years by Franchise India Holdings Ltd in 2013
· The title of “Inspirational Leader of New India was conferred upon Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty that was jointly hosted by “I am for India” – an initiative by Hon. Smt. Latha Rajanikanth and M/s. Planman Media Pvt. Ltd...” DTDC was chosen as the Indian Power Brand of the year first in 2011 & once again in 2013 by Planman Marcom Pvt. Ltd.
· DTDC was awarded the Supply Chain and Logistics Excellence (SCALE) Awards For an Exceptional Position in the Express/Courier Category by the esteemed Confederation of Indian Industries (CII).
· India's Most Trusted Courier Service Brand by The Brand Trust Report TM - India Study 2014 published by Trust Research Advisory
· DTDC was awarded the Best eRetail Solution Provider of the Year by Franchise India at the Indian Retail and eRetail Awards which recognize the achievements of India’s successful retailers and brands across multiple categories in terms of business performance, customer experience, innovation and leadership in the retail sector.
· DTDC won the Best Franchisor Award in the country under the category Courier & Cargo for 9th time in 2014 by Franchising World, a part of Franchise India Holdings Ltd.
· Golden Europe Global Award for Quality and Commercial Prestige 2012 was conferred upon by International Organization, "Otherways Management and Consultants" in Paris in July '12.
· Rashtriya Udyog Rathna Award and Quality Brands 2012 - 14 Award was conferred upon by NEHRDO and Quality Brands in June '12.
· DTDC was awarded The Arch of Excellence Award from AIAA (All India Achievers Association) in 2012 DTDC was awarded as one of the Top 100 CIOs of 2011 & 2012 in India & Asia, organized by the internationally renowned CIO India Chapter for implementing and mentoring open source platforms and knowledge contribution towards open source community.
· Subhasish Chakraborty’s won the Entrepreneur of the Year (Consumer Services) Award for 2011 by Franchise India Holdings Ltd. and Bloomberg/UTV for his continuous contribution in the field of Consumer Service.
· Mr. Subhasish Chakraborty was conferred upon the Golden Global Indian Award and Gold Medal for the year 2011 by Institute of Economic Studies recognizing his contributions made to the Trade, Industry and Economical Development of the country.
· DTDC was conferred with Best Express Distribution Service Award for the year 2011 by the reputed government organization IIMM (Indian Institute of Materials Management) in collaboration with Union Ministry of Transport & Highways selected DTDC among the industry giants for the most competitive, and bringing quality service and values to express distribution in India.
CMD,The founder of DTDC Express Limited is counted as one of India’s leading entrepreneurs. The inspirational journey of his life and DTDC has been chronicled by bestselling author Priya Kumar in her book Dream Dare Deliver(DDD). DTDC started in 1990 with the intention of providing a better logistics solution to people. Challenged by a lack of capital to create a network, he came up with an idea to partner with entrepreneurs who shared his vision of providing the best customer service experience in the field of express supply chain logistics. DDD is the story of a man, who made it against all odds, taking DTDC from a start-up courier company to the Supply Chain of Happiness that it stands for today- providing employment to thousands, delivering smiles to millions.
DDD was voted the best biography of 2015(amazon.in) and also made international headlines with a Honourable Mention in the Business section of the prestigious Eric Hoffer Awards, USA(May 2016)